WHAT IS COACHING?
First and foremost, I believe personal coaching is built on these three fundamental principles:
- A coach’s goal is to first help you gain clarity on what you really want before designing mindsets, habits, and actions to achieve those desired outcomes.
- There is no problem to diagnose or fix – You are not broken.
- You have all the answers – a coach merely helps you bring those answers to the surface before harnessing them for growth!
While those principles provide a foundation for my coaching, I believe it is also helpful to distinguish what personal coaching is NOT / does NOT do:
- Coaching is NOT therapy in that it does not focus on the past or offer a diagnosis.
- Coaching is NOT mentoring in that coaching does not focus exclusively on direct instruction around academic content. Coaching can certainly help you achieve academic success, but the process is more holistic and therefore even more beneficial!
- Coaching does NOT add to your workload. I am keenly aware of the fact that all of us are balancing many obligations in this life, which is why I view participating in coaching as a way of working smarter not harder!
Simply put, my coaching philosophy can be embodied by this statement:
Together through conversation, we work to create deeper awareness and personal understanding within you while designing mindsets, habits, and actions that help you be the person you want to be while achieving your goals effectively and efficiently.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Truly, the benefits of my coaching are limitless!
The conversations you have with me will benefit you in the present and as you work towards your future goals. Improved confidence, enhanced self-knowledge, higher achievement / performance, and lower fear / stress / anxiety levels are just some of the upsides of working with me.
My coaching will also help you create concrete plans to reach your goals faster
As your coach, I am here to support you, champion you, and help you stay accountable. After all, I am here to help you reach your next peak!
The metacognitive process is also a major benefit
My coaching helps you engage in metacognition that can set you apart when applying to colleges and for jobs in the future. At a rapid rate, more and more businesses are recognizing the value of having employees that truly understand themselves and how they work best, which is why engaging in coaching today can set you up for even more success in the future.
My coaching will leave you feeling positive after each and every conversation!
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, my coaching will leave you with the most amazing feeling of positivity after each session. It is so incredibly powerful to have someone that truly listens to you and champions you with no exterior motive other than to see you thrive and achieve your goals, and I would love to be that someone for you.
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL SESSION LOOK LIKE?
Coaching is a conversation
A conversation where I ask targeted questions to bring forth new understanding that leads to effective, efficient action. I will listen closely with empathy between questions before ending a session with your creation of at least one action step to take while moving forward. These action steps help create accountability by designing standards against which to check progress.
A typical coaching session usually lasts 45-60 minutes and follows this rough outline:
Set an Agenda – What would you like to focus on today?
Explore the Importance – Why is this topic important to you?
Define the Desired Outcome – What would you like to get out of the conversation today?
Coaching Conversation – A coach’s greatest tool is empathetic listening, so I will be asking questions that show I am really listening and are designed to bring about new insights and knowledge acquisition within you.
Use of Coaching Tools – Sometimes I may bring in some coaching tools or activities to enhance the conversation but only if you agree. You are always in control!
Turn to Action – A good coach will never tell you what to do! Instead, I will help you create an action step for the future related to the learning and desired outcome for the day.
Build in an Accountability – The final part is to help the you find a way to stay accountable to the action step(s).
WHAT ARE MY QUALIFICATIONS?
I am committed to providing the best quality of service with the highest degree of professionalism, which is why I am doing / have done the following in addition to the life experiences detailed on my About page:
- Recognized as an Associate Certified Coach (ACC) by the International Coach Federation (ICF), the global standard in professional coaching.
- Registered member of the International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Certified as a Professional Academic Coach by Coach Training EDU.
- Received 125 hours of in-person training and 16 Mentor Hours through Coach Training EDU, an International Coach Federation (ICF) accredited training program.
- Active in a professional network of coaches to ensure I continue to stay up-to-date on cutting edge practices.
Additional personal and career highlights
- Loving husband to Elisabeth and father to Ophelia
- Graduate of the Glenbrook Academy for International Studies, a nationally recognized high school program that synthesizes English, Social Studies, and World Languages content and instruction to produce students that go on to be positive global change agents.
- High School English teacher in an Academy for Global Studies
- Magna Cum Laude graduate of the University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh with a degree in Secondary English Education.
- Recipient of the WACTE Early Career Educator Award
- Co-recipient of the ASCD Teacher Impact Grant
- Co-presenter on Personalized Learning at the state and national level
- Recipient of the American Volleyball Coaches Association “THIRTY UNDER 30 HIGH SCHOOL” Award
- NCVF Div. III National Champion and Honorable Mention All-American
- Volleyball coach to many athletes that have gone on to play collegiately and even professionally in some cases
WHAT ARE MY SPECIALIZATIONS?
While I do work with a wide variety of people addressing the topics that matter most to them, I do specialize in coaching a few specific demographics. These are:
Whether you are a student that is currently achieving below the desired level, one that is getting good grades but struggling with the stress of rigorous academics, or one that simply wants to improve overall confidence when it comes to your studies, I can help. My years in education working with diverse student populations (see more about my educational background in the About section) and my specific training in Academic Coaching from Coach Training EDU, an International Coach Federation accredited training program, make me the ideal coach for any student looking to reach new heights of achievement and positivity in any academic context.
As an athletic coach that has worked with individual athletes and athletic teams / programs from middle school through college at levels ranging from AAU to high school to the NCAA, I am uniquely suited to help athletes maximize their experiences in their sports. Even further, my experiences as a student-athlete also make me uniquely qualified to work within this field, as I distinctly remember the highs, lows, and struggles of this experience and can empathize with athletes as they try to be their best selves on and off the court. My athletic playing and coaching experiences inform my personal coaching and vice versa, which again makes me well suited to work with individual athletes or an entire team / athletic program.
As a high school English teacher, I experience firsthand the special challenges that the profession presents. Teacher burnout is no joke, and you can’t be at your best for your students if you’re not feeling the best about yourself and your place in the educational community. That is why I love working with educators! Whether you are looking for new ways to grow, for more balance between work and the rest of your life, or simply for more joy in the profession, I can help. I am passionate about creating a deeper awareness in all educators that recognizes the amazing work you do and the value you bring to society as a whole. It would be my privilege to talk with you to help you reach your next peaks inside and outside of the classroom.
HOW CAN COACHING HELP ME IN THE COLLEGE APPLICATION PROCESS?
While I cannot guarantee my coaching around your college essay will get you into the college of your dreams (since the essay is only one part of the application process), I can guarantee that you will be proud and confident in the essay you create. As an accomplished High School English teacher and a certified professional coach, I am able to combine these two skill sets to help you highlight your strengths to the admissions board as much as possible.
HOW CAN COACHING HELP ATHLETES reach their full potential in order TO compete at THE NEXT LEVEL?
While it is true that sport-specific talent is part of the equation that helps athletes progress to the next level, the other (and arguably more important) part of that equation is the athlete’s mindset. The skill of knowing one’s self in order to fully capitalize on potential is crucial to an athlete’s success at progressing up through the ranks of his / her sport. Unlocking all of the body’s capabilities comes through mastering the mind, and I am here to help you do just that!
Together, we can make sure that your mind and body are working in perfect harmony to get you as much happiness and success as possible out of your chosen sport!
If you are a coach or athletic program director looking to bring out the best in your athletes on and off the court, please visit my Programs page and look under “PEAK in Your Program” to learn more about how I work within athletic teams and programs!
WHY PEAK AS A NAME?
WHY ARE MY COACHING CONVERSATIONS THROUGH VIDEO CALLS OR OVER THE PHONE?
It is my pleasure to offer coaching conversations either by online video call (Zoom) or by telephone.
Beyond convenience, I also find these methods of communication preferable because they allow for you to attend the session from whatever environment is most comfortable for you! This increased comfort makes the coaching process even more positive, productive, and enjoyable. I care about making you feel at ease, so I leave the choice of how we will communicate up to you.